Have you been labeled "non-essential"? Take heart in these merchant discounts in and around Washington DC exclusively for federal employees (and even if you're not furloughed, you can still get these savings just by showing your federal ID badge).
Got more tips and tricks to save money while furloughed? Send them our way and we'll post them for the rest of the Larkonauts. Email <firstname.lastname@example.org> with your suggestions.
Above all, good luck to those of you affected by the shutdown. We're hoping for a quick resolution!
- The National Museum of Women in the Arts "will offer free admission to any furloughed federal employees. The employees just need to show their federal government IDs at the admission desk. This will include our two special exhibitions American People, Black Light: Faith Ringgold’s Paintings of the 1960s and Awake in the Dream World: The Art of Audrey Niffenegger."
- National Geographic Museum "will be open and offering free admission tomorrow. In addition to free admission to the museum, guests are also invited to 'Tuesdays at Noon,' a free series of programming offered every Tuesday by National Geographic Live. Tomorrow they will be showing The Incredible Dr. Pol. The NG Farmer's Market will also be open tomorrow."
- West End Cinema: "We are offering half-price popcorn and sodas for federal employees (with a valid ID) during the #governmentshutdown."
- AFI Silver: "We are offering free popcorn to our moviegoers who are on furlough from their government jobs. Just be sure to have a valid government ID!"
- The Alexandria Symphony Orchestra "is offering all furloughed federal workers two complimentary tickets to our Saturday, October 5 performance featuring Carlos Rodriguez, pianist. The performance will be held at 8:00pm in the Rachel M. Schlesinger Concert Hall and Arts Center, located at 3001 North Beauregard Street in Alexandria, VA. Free parking is provided. Additional tickets are available for $5 (18 and under), $10 (students with ID), and start at $20 for adults. To redeem, please present a valid ID at the Box Office on the night of the concert. Prior purchases excluded. Subject to availability. For more information, call 703-548-0885."
- Theater J: "We're offering buy one, get one free tickets to Wednesday and Thursday evening performances of After the Revolution for federal government employees! Tickets are available in-person, with valid government ID, beginning one hour before curtain."
- Local a cappella group The Capital Hearings "are offering FREE ADMISSION to their concert this Saturday night to furloughed feds! Check it out here."
- The Howard Theatre is offering free passes for federal employees for three upcoming events, including a Wednesday concert with Big Boi of Outkast and others. They'll get 50% off for a Sunday show by Rufus featuring Sly Stone. Wow, that's pretty sweet!
- Fibre Space: "Impacted by the shutdown? Find comfort in knitting. Come on out to fibre space from 1-5 p.m. any workday that the government is closed and learn to cast on and knit with one of our fab instructors. Basic materials are as low as $5 for needles and $10 for yarn, should you need them. The instruction is free and the community is priceless!"
- Polarized Fitness "will offer one free class to furloughed government employees. Must show government id."
- Lunar Massage "is offering $1/min massage at all 3 studios for furloughed workers."
- Nusta Spa "is offering 30% off all services to anyone who shows a federal ID from now until the government reopens."
- Dance Institute of Washington "will be offering all government employees a 2 for 1 special for our dance classes. We have Modern, Hip Hop, Ballet, Brazil Cardio Dance, and Zumba throughout the week and we think opening up our doors to government employees with a special would be great! Hopefully you will be able to help us spread the word and let all of those who have been furloughed know that they have some place to go and have a good time!"
- Daily Rider: "15% off all accessories until the shutdown ends, 10% off selected bikes!" Deal is for everyone.
- CulinAerie "is offering a Free Knife Skills Seminar for furloughed govt employees. They must register on the website at www.culinaerie.com. The class is Friday, October 4th 1130am -2:30pm."
- Istrico Productions: "We are offering FREE professional headshots to furloughed government employees in the DC area! Check out our Facebook page."
DRINK AND EAT
- Jaleo, Zaytinya and Oyamel will be offering affected workers free sandwiches "every day until it's over." Honestly, I love Oyamel, so this is pretty amazing. Almost makes me wish I worked in government.
- Urbana "will extend its happy hour by one hour for every day the government shuts down this week, until it reaches the point where happy hour is available all night. Urbana’s happy hour normally runs from 4-7 p.m."
- Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken "will offer one free doughnut with any doughnut or chicken purchase to any federal or District government employee if the shutdown goes into effect. The offer is limited to one per person and employees must show ID to redeem."
- Sticky Rice: "If the government shuts down at Midnight 1/2 price Sticky Rice rolls out Super Sushi Heaven with 1/2 price American Beers! Go Team!"
- Kangaroo Boxing Club: "Because if the government is screwing you, you might as well come get some $3 screwdrivers. First one is free with your federal I.D. Noon to 5 p.m."
- Meridian Pint: "Local ales for budget ails! If the Federal Government shuts down tomorrow, we will open at 12 for LUNCH! 3 different local beers will be available for $5. It is also the first day of our Guest Beer Director Birthday Series."
- Z Burger: Burgerswill be free for every furloughed worked from 11am to 1pm and 5-7pm. One per person with an I.D. "This might put us out of business, but we want to show that we care more about the people than the politicians do," co-founder Peter Tabibian says.
- Graffiato: "We'll be offering Happy Hour specials today from 4-7pm, including $2 bites, and $3, $4, and $5 drink specials!"
- Pork Barrel BBQ : "Free pulled pork sandwich for any gov employee if there is a shutdown. 1 per day, must have gov ID & EXCLUDES CONGRESSMEN."
- Sophie's Cuban D.C.: "In light of our grand opening and a potential government shutdown, we will also be offering three empanadas with any purchase with Proof of a Government ID starting Thursday, October 3."
- Posto: "POSTO will offer the following “Shutdown Specials” for the duration of the shutdown for ALL patrons seated in the bar area. You only need to spend a Lincoln ($5 for a glass of wine) and a Hamilton ($10 for 'B-S' Ravioli ) for a delicious dinner!"
- Menchie’s U St Frozen Yogurt "will offer the following 'Shutdown Special' throughout the duration of the shutdown for Government Workers or Government Contractors who present a proper ID: 20% off any size portion of Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt, with as many toppings as you want!"
- St. Arnold's Mussel Bar in Cleveland Park will have furlough specials for feds with IDs during lunch today. $5 Fat Tire. $3 Irish whiskey shots. Half price Belgian beer battered onion rings, too.
- Weygandt Wines: "25% off all wines for furloughed government employees (w/ ID, please); 15% off beer and spirits."
- The Blaguard:"If the government is closed... then as you know, we open early. Happy Hour starts at 3, All Drafts <$5."
- Hill Country Barbecue "is offering happy hour drink specials all day to anyone with a Government ID during the shutdown: $3 PBR, $5 Well Shots & Drinks, $5 Margaritas and $20 Margarita Pitchers."
- Granville Moore's "is running a $1 Stella Shutdown special with $3 Under Pressure BBQ Pork Belly Bites. They open today at 2:00pm for late lunch and day drinking. Open to everyone - while supplies last."
- Scion Restaurant and Crios Modern Mexican will offer our full happy hour specials during lunch this week, or until the government shutdown has been resolved. Please note: Crios is only open for lunch Wednesday - Friday."
- Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar "will be offering $2 DC Brau pint specials and $4.00 for our bottle beers -- either our Avery brown or the IPA also by the bottle Rougue either the hazelnut brown or a pilsner. We will also offer 1/2 off any small plate. All while supplies last and all with govt ID."
- Sapore Oil & Vinegar "on Capitol Hill is offering a 10% discount to all federal workers during shutdown. Members of Congress however will be charged 10% more!"
- Nando’s Peri-Peri "is crying fowl over the government shutdown. In a special 'Boneless Chicken, Spineless Congress' promotion, it is offering a free butterflied Peri-Peri chicken breast to all 'non-essential' government employees affected by the shutdown. ... To participate in the promotion, government employees should visit the Nando’s Facebook page to redeem the offer. The offer is valid today only for federal government employees with a valid ID. Federal workers, enjoy your delicious, free Peri-Peri chicken at Nando’s! (Members of Congress need not apply.)"
- Boundary Road "is offering several drink specials during an all day furlough happy hour today - open to anyone & everyone - including $5 Local brews, $5 Green Hat Gin and tonics, and a $7 "Non-Essential Combo" which is a Narragansett Tall Boy and a shot of Old Overholt Rye."
- Flying Dog Brewery is offering free brewery tours and tastings for all nonessential government workers. "Tours are Thursdays and Fridays at 4, 5, and 6 p.m. and Saturdays at noon, 1, 3, and 4 p.m. Reservations are not required; we’ve reserved walk-up spots for those of you with a little extra time on your hands. Included is a guided tour of our brewery and five beer samples. All you need is your ID (tours are 21+) and proof of federal employment. These spots will be claimed on a first come, first serve basis."
- Kramerbooks & Afterwords: "In recognition of the government shutdown, we are offering Happy Hour prices for all from opening to closing (in the bar only): $5 all beers, rail drinks; house wine. Members of Congress pay double."
- Asia Nine in Penn Quarter "is offering all government workers a 10% discount on their check for the duration of the shutdown."
- P.J. Clarke's: Show your government ID and with the purchase of any new Hamburger Deluxe, get a free Draft Beer. 1 per customer."
- Jersey Mike's Subs: "Reminder, we are doing a shutdown special! $2 off any giant sub if you're a furloughed gov't employee and mention this tweet!"
- Glen's Garden Market: "We wanted to reach out and let you know that we will be holding a Snark & Sarcasm #Shutdown2013 Party for all "non-essential" government employees. Your first round is on us from 10am-12pm, all week.Drafts from our all-local taps are only $4 after that."
- 1905 Bistro & Bar "is offering a new Shutdown Special - available to everyone while supplies last - during dinner hours starting at 5:00 p.m. Artisanal sausage and 3 sides plus a beer for $15."
- "Come by H Street RedRocks starting Wednesday through Friday for happy hour from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm. As an added bonus, if you show the bartender your government ID, you'll get a free shot of George Dickel #8 whiskey! Members of Congress will be served free water all day, everything else will cost them double."
- Soupergirl has a 10% "furlough special" discount for most government employees, but there's one twist: "Members of Congress will be charged DOUBLE!" shouts a sign outside its door.
- Oil changes from Koons of Silver Spring MD., a car dealership close to Washington D.C., says it is offering all furloughed government employees a free oil change, free tire rotation and free multi-point inspection during the shutdown. Koons "realizes the importance of the livelihood of the federal government workforce," the company says.